Our Commitment To Privacy
The Information We Collect
You may have accessed It’s Your District by visiting www.itsyourdistrict.org, by using our mobile application, or through the site of one of our third-party partners with whom we have teamed to provide volunteering services (collectively, the "Services"), such as a It’s Your District co-branding partner or a corporate partner (collectively, "Partners"). This notice applies to all information you submit to It’s Your District through any of the above means, including through the Services. Please note that we cannot be responsible for the information you submit directly to third parties, including our Partners, who may have their own posted policies regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of your information. We urge you to review the policies of our Partners through whom you may access our services.
The types of information, including without limitation personal information, ("Information") we may collect from users through the Services are:
- First and Last Name
- Email address and password
- Telephone number
- Address, City and State
- Country and Postal Code
- Comments and feedback about volunteer experiences
- Connection history
- Geo-location information
- Information about your interests and skills
- Customized email preferences
- Other categories of information required or requested by an Agency to register for a particular volunteer opportunity.
For Agencies who use the Services to host volunteer opportunities we may collect:
- Administrator Information - First and Last Name; Email; Telephone Number; Postal Code; Username and Password. Address and City; State; Country
- Agency Information - Agency Name; Contact Information (Contact Title, First and Last Name, Telephone Number, Address, City, State, Country, Postal Code, Email); Description of Services; Mission Statement; Tax ID/EIN, NCES school ID, and/or proof of non-profit status, as applicable; Affiliations; Volunteer or Services Type Category. Web site Address; Fax, photos, logos or other images depicting organization.
- Volunteer Opportunity Information - Opportunity Title; Contact Email; Description; Volunteer Type; Location Information (either Street Location or "Virtual" Designation). Required Skills and Other Requirements; Date; Time; Commitment Information; Volunteer Age; Group Size; photos..
How We Use Information
We do not sell, rent, or trade our user Information (whether volunteer, administrator, or nonprofit users) to outside parties. We use the Information you provide to us to render the Services, to improve the Services, facilitate the volunteering process, respond to your requests, and to provide information to you about It’s Your District and related industry topics.
Please be aware that, to the extent required to provide our services, we share your Information with volunteer users, Agencies, our third-party service providers, or our Partners, as applicable. We may use our email lists for sending out It’s Your District outbound communications. We also reserve the right to use your Information to send you transactional emails, and you cannot opt out of receiving transactional e-mails without deleting your account (by email us at email@example.com).
Please note that any feedback or comments provided by you on the Web site may be generally accessible by any visitor to the Web site. Therefore, please take care when posting feedback or comments to the site, as you will forfeit the privacy of that information. If you provide It’s Your District with any feedback or suggestions regarding the Site, App, or Services ("Feedback"), you hereby grant It’s Your District an unlimited, worldwide, royalty-free, and irrevocable license to use, distribute, creative derivative works of, or otherwise exploit such Feedback in any manner.
If you are a volunteer user, we may also use your Information in the following ways:
- If you indicate to us that you are interested in creating a personalized account, the information we gather from you will be used to provide you with the Services and permit you to: access the account, customize your profile with skills and interests, customize outbound email services, review your connection history and/or post a resume that can be sent as an attachment to inquiries you make using the It’s Your District service.
- If you indicate to us that you are interested in a particular volunteer opportunity and provide us with your Information using the Services, we will forward your Information to the Agency that listed that opportunity so that the Agency can contact you regarding your potential involvement, and, if the particular Agency (including an Agency that is a Partner) has a regional or national office or is closely affiliated with or a member of a related Agency (each, an "Affiliate"), then we may also share your Information with the applicable Affiliate. Each such Agency, however, has its own policies regarding collection and use of personal information and we are not responsible for their use of your Information. For more about an Agency's policy, please contact them directly using the contact information posted for that Agency on our Web site.
- To the extent that you have provided any Information to us through our Services regarding volunteer opportunities associated with one of our Partners or have accessed the Services through a Partner, we may share your Information and connection history with the applicable Partner. Each of our Partners has its own policies regarding the collection and use of personal information, and It’s Your District is not responsible for their use of your Information. Furthermore, our Partners may collect additional information from you, independent of It’s Your District, in connection with the volunteer services.
If you are an Agency, we may also use your Information in the following ways:
- If you submit Information to us as an Agency, then, subject to the terms and conditions as a nonprofit member of It’s Your District, your Information (excluding your EIN number) will be accessible by anyone who accesses It’s Your District. In addition, we may share your Information, including your EIN number, with selected Partners in order to verify your Agency's identity and tax status.
- Agencies who receive email addresses from potential volunteer signups are strongly encouraged to adopt privacy standards similar to those of It’s Your District (but in each case, you must comply with all applicable privacy laws and regulations). Inappropriate use of personal information received from It’s Your District may jeopardize a nonprofit’s membership with It’s Your District. It’s Your District reserves the right to determine, in its discretion, what constitutes inappropriate use of this information and to terminate Agency access to the Services for such misuse.
Third-party Access and Use
Occasionally, we or our Partners, use third-party service providers to help provide or improve the services we offer you. Sometimes these providers have access to the Information we collect about you as a part of providing, maintaining, and improving the Services.
We share aggregate information about our users with certain third parties. This information shows user activity at a group level, rather than on an individual basis.
Due to factors beyond our control, however, we cannot fully ensure that your Information will not be disclosed to third parties. For example, we may be legally obligated to disclose Information to the government or third parties under certain circumstances, or third parties may circumvent our security measures to unlawfully intercept or access your Personal Information.
We welcome Volunteers of all ages, including children under the age of thirteen. Due to our status as a non-profit organization, we are not required to comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). However, we strongly encourage our volunteers aged thirteen and under to use our Services only with parental consent and supervision.
Cookies and Analytics
You can set your web browser to prompt you before you accept a cookie, accept cookies automatically or reject all cookies. However, if you choose not to accept cookies from this web site, then you may not be able to access and use all or part of this web site or benefit from the information and services which it offers.
Pages on the Services and emails that It’s Your District sends to you may contain small image files called web beacons. Web beacons are used as a mechanism to help us track your visits to our site and whether or not you open our emails. In addition, we use several third-party services that embed web beacons on our site for similar tracking purposes. These third-party services are used to provide additional features to users, such as the ability to share content on our site with your social network.
The Services contains links to other third-party sites. It’s Your District is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such third-party sites.
How You Can Review Or Correct Your Information
If you are a nonprofit member or volunteer with a personal It’s Your District account (either through our mobile application, www.itsyourdistrict.org, or a Partner's Web site) you may review and make changes to all of your Information that we collect and maintain online by simply inputting your username and password where indicated on the applicable Service.
If you are a volunteer with a personal It’s Your District account, once you login in, you may make any changes or correct factual errors in your account by changing the information on your login page. This option is available to better safeguard your Information, subject to downtime for standard maintenance and support. You do not need to contact us to access your record or to make any changes. If you have problems changing your Information, please contact Support Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are an Agency administrator, you may make any changes or correct factual errors in your administrator, organization and opportunity information. We use this procedure to better safeguard your Information. You do not need to contact us to access your record or to make any changes. If you have problems changing your Agency's Information, please contact Support Services at email@example.com.
If you are a nonprofit member or volunteer with an account and would like to have your Information deleted from the site, you may contact Support Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your Choices Regarding your Information and Newsletters & Communications
Subscriptions to It’s Your District newsletters and Constant Contact are optional and It’s Your District allows Agencies, volunteers, subscribers or other users to unsubscribe from these newsletters and alerts at any time. In each newsletter we provide instructions regarding how to opt-out from receiving future newsletter mailings. You can change your alert settings by visiting the clicking the SafeUnsubscribe link button. You can also email us at email@example.com to remove your name from our newsletter subscription database and ensure that you will cease receiving future newsletters from us.
We may also use our email lists for sending out other non-promotional It’s Your District outbound communications such as product enhancements, tool upgrades, or service availability. Registered members are required to receive these communications.
Our Commitment To Data Security
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of Information, we have put in place reasonable physical, electronic, and managerial procedures in an effort to safeguard and secure the Information we collect online. If you have any questions about our data security or data retention practices, please email us at it firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work to provide you with the answers you require.
Changes to Policy
How To Contact Us
We appreciate your questions or comments about this privacy statement, the practices of the Services, or your dealings with It’s Your District. We also want to work carefully with you to resolve any disputes or issues you might have. Please send email email@example.com or you can send mail to It’s Your District, 870 31st Ave, San Francisco, CA 94121
Effective Date: February 25, 2015